Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1830 - 1850
Terraced three-bay four-storey brick house, built c.1840, with shopfront to ground floor. M-profile slate roof, hipped to west with shared red brick chimneystacks to east party wall, hidden behind parapet wall with masonry coping. Machine-made red brick walls laid in Flemish bond to upper floors, painted signs to first and second floors. Gauged brick camber-headed window openings with painted masonry sills and single-pane timber sliding sash windows. Replacement timber shopfront to ground floor and replacement hardwood doorcase to east, giving access to upper floors
Talbot street was initially laid out c.1840 following the sale of Tyrone House, but much of it was destroyed during the 1916 Rising. Although considerably altered by the insertion of a recent shopfront, this building retains its overall external character and forms part of a uniform stretch of the streetscape.