Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1830 - 1850
Terraced two-bay four-storey house, built c.1840, having recent shopfront to ground floor. Flat roof with red brick chimneystacks to east party wall behind rebuilt red brick parapet wall with masonry coping. Red brick wall laid in Flemish bond, rendered to exposed section of side (east) elevation. Diminishing gauged brick square-headed window openings with granite sills and single-pane timber sliding sash windows. Recent polished granite shopfront to ground floor comprising fluted pilasters, pedimented consoles flanking plain entablature over recent shutters.
This building forms the end of a terrace lining the north side of Talbot Street, which was laid out c.1840 following the sale of Tyrone House. Although it has been considerably altered by the insertion of a recent shopfront, much of the original form and fabric to the upper floors has been retained, with historic features such as timber sliding sash windows adding to the architectural significance of the building.