Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1830 - 1850
Terraced two-bay three-storey brick house, built c.1840, with shopfront inserted to ground floor. Flat roof with shared brick chimneystack to west party wall, hidden behind parapet wall with granite coping and decorative brick parapet wall with steel reinforcements. Red brick walls laid in Flemish bond to upper floors with front elevation projecting slightly beyond adjacent building to west. Gauged brick segmental-headed window openings with granite sills and replacement single-pane timber sliding sash windows. Replacement timber shopfront with steel roller shutter.
Talbot Street was initially laid out c.1840 following the sale of Tyrone House. This building is one of the few to predate the destruction of the 1916 Rising and, despite the insertion of a shopfront the building, retains much of its Victorian detailing to the upper floors. The segmental-headed timber sash windows and decorative brick eaves course enliven the façade and add interest and variation to the street's architectural heritage.