Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1830 - 1850
Terraced two-bay three-storey house with dormer attic, built c.1840, now in commercial use. Pitched slate roof with shared red brick chimneystacks and gable-fronted dormer window behind brown brick parapet wall having masonry coping. Mixed rainwater goods to east of façade, with cast-iron square-profile hopper and replacement uPVC downpipe. Brown brick wall laid in Flemish bond to red brick platband over shopfront. Gauged brick square-headed window openings with masonry sills, replacement uPVC windows and steel balconettes to second floor window openings. Recent shared timber shopfront to ground floor comprising engaged pilasters having moulded bolection mouldings, on polished granite plinth bases, supporting fascia with moulded bolection mouldings and moulded cornice. Recessed square-headed door opening having double-leaf glazed timber door with overlight, flanked by square-headed glazed display windows on polished granite risers.
This modest building maintains the fenestration rhythm and parapet height of the terrace of which it forms a part, making a positive contribution to the streetscape through the resultant sense of uniformity. Talbot Street was laid out following the sale of Tyrone House in the 1840s.