Survey Data

Reg No

50010200


Rating

Regional


Categories of Special Interest

Architectural


Original Use

House


In Use As

Shop/retail outlet


Date

1830 - 1850


Coordinates

316230, 234784


Date Recorded

08/11/2011


Date Updated

--/--/--


Description

Terraced two-bay three-storey house, built c.1840, now in commercial use. Pitched slate roof with shared brown brick chimneystacks, terracotta chimney pots to west chimneystack behind rendered parapet wall with painted masonry coping. Rendered walls with channelled render quoin bands. Square-headed window openings with masonry sills and single-pane timber sliding sash windows. Cast-iron balconettes to first floor windows. Recent shopfront to ground floor comprising panelled timber engaged pilasters, on plinth bases, supporting shaped timber consoles and fascia over square-headed glazed door and window openings. Doorway having square-headed single-leaf timber door and overlight to west of shopfront.

Appraisal

This modest yet well composed building retains salient features, such as timber sash windows and cast-iron balconettes, which enhance the character of the building. Channelled render quoins and masonry coping to the parapet wall articulate the fa├žade. The building forms part of the terrace lining the north side of Talbot street, which was laid out in the 1840s following the sale of Tyrone House.