Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1830 - 1850
Terraced two-bay three-storey house with dormer attic, built c.1840, having recent timber shopfront to ground floor. Pitched slate roof with shared brown brick chimneystacks, terracotta chimney pots to east chimneystack and central square-headed dormer window to front (south) elevation, behind parapet wall with painted masonry coping. Painted brick wall with rendered plinth course over shopfront. Gauged brick square-headed window openings having masonry sills and four-over-four pane timber sliding sash windows. Cast-iron balconettes to second floor openings. Recent timber shopfront to ground floor comprising panelled timber engaged pilasters, on plinth bases, supporting timber fascia over square-headed glazed door and window openings.
This modest yet well composed building is of a size and scale which is in keeping with the rest of the terrace. It retains some notable features, such as timber sash windows and cast-iron balconettes, which enhance the character of the building. The building forms part of the terrace lining the north side of Talbot street, which was laid out in the 1840s following the sale of Tyrone House.