Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1830 - 1850
Terraced three-bay three-storey house, built c.1840, now in commercial use. Hipped slate roof, having valley between central and westernmost bays, with shared brown brick chimneystacks, behind brown brick parapet wall with masonry coping. Brown brick wall laid in Flemish bond to upper floors. Gauged brick square-headed window openings having masonry sills, flush rendered reveals, and replacement uPVC windows. Recent tiled shopfronts to ground floor, flanking square-headed central door opening.
Although the appearance of this building has been considerably altered by the insertion of recent shopfronts, it retains much of its original form to the upper floors. The subtle symmetry of the façade is articulated by the central door opening to the ground floor and chimneystacks and the ends of the roof. Despite being larger than other buildings on the street, it maintains the parapet height and fenestration pattern of its neighbours, making a positive contribution to the streetscape. The building forms part of the terrace lining the north side of Talbot street, which was laid out in the 1840s following the sale of Tyrone House.