Survey Data

Reg No




Categories of Special Interest


Original Use


In Use As

Shop/retail outlet


1830 - 1850


316257, 234790

Date Recorded


Date Updated



Terraced three-bay three-storey house, built c.1840, now in combined commercial and domestic use with recent shopfronts to ground floor. Hipped slate roof, having gutter valleys between central and easternmost bays, with shared brown brick chimneystacks, stepped to east, half-rendered to west, behind brown brick parapet wall having masonry coping. Brown brick wall laid in Flemish bond to upper floors. Gauged brick square-headed window openings having masonry sills, flush rendered reveals and two-over-two pane timber sliding sash windows. Three-centred-arch door opening with moulded masonry surround and painted masonry Ionic doorcase comprising engaged Ionic columns on plinth bases supporting entablature and moulded cornice, with blocked fanlight over. Granite step to entrance. Rendered wall surrounding doorcase, with rendered fascia over. Recent shopfront to east of doorcase comprising timber engaged pilasters supporting pedimented consoles flanking timber fascia. Square-headed door opening having half-glazed timber panelled door, flanked by square-headed window openings on panelled risers. Recent tiled shopfront to west of doorcase, with fascia over square-headed glazed door opening flanked by square-headed window openings.


The appearance of this building has been considerably altered by the insertion of recent shopfronts. However, it retains much of its original form and fabric, including a fine Ionic doorcase, which augments the symmetry of the fa├žade, and timber sash windows. It forms part of the terrace lining the north side of Talbot Street, maintaining the parapet height and fenestration rhythm of neighbouring buildings thus creating a sense of continuity which makes a positive impression on the streetscape.