Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1810 - 1830
Terraced two-bay four-storey house over raised basement, built c.1820, with three-storey extension rising from original two-storey return. Built as one of pair, now in use as a guesthouse and interconnected. Slate roof to front, hipped to north with flat roof to rear span hidden behind parapet wall with granite coping. Rebuilt brick chimneystack rising from south party wall with clay pots. Yellow brick walls laid in Flemish bond on granite plinth course over rendered basement wall. Gauged brick flat-arched window openings with patent rendered reveals, painted granite sills and replacement aluminium windows. Exposed roller shutter box and shutter to basement window with timber sheeted door entry under platform. Round-headed door opening with projecting stucco reveals and inset painted masonry Ionic doorcase. Replacement timber glazed door flanked by engaged Ionic columns on plinth bases supporting panelled lintel cornice and plain glazed fanlight over. Door opens onto shared granite platform with cast-iron boot-scrape and six granite steps. Platform and basement enclosed by decorative wrought and cast-iron railings set on moulded granite plinth wall with matching gate giving access to basement.
A former Georgian townhouse, built as one of a pair, both now used as a guesthouse and interconnected. The building has lost its original fenestration but retains its overall composition and contributes to the appeal of this elegant terrace and the wider streetscape. Gardiner Street Lower was developed by Luke Gardiner in the late eighteenth century, with leases dating from the 1790s. The street formed part of Gardiner's route from Beresford Place to Mountjoy Square with this house forming part of a surviving terrace along this street.