Survey Data

Reg No




Categories of Special Interest


Original Use


In Use As

Guest house/b&b


1810 - 1830


316259, 234809

Date Recorded


Date Updated



Terraced two-bay four-storey house over raised basement, built c.1820, with three-storey extension rising from original two-storey return. Built as one of pair, now in use as guest house. M-profile slate roof, hipped to south, hidden behind parapet wall with granite coping. Pair of rebuilt brick chimneystacks to north party wall with clay pots. Yellow brick walls laid in Flemish bond on granite plinth course over rendered basement wall. Yellow brick walls to rear elevation laid in English garden wall bond. Gauged brick flat-arched window openings with patent rendered reveals, painted granite sills and replacement aluminium windows. Exposed roller shutter box and shutter to basement window with timber sheeted door entry under platform. Round-headed door opening with projecting stucco reveals and inset painted masonry Ionic doorcase. Replacement timber door flanked by engaged Ionic columns on plinth bases supporting panelled lintel cornice and original petal fanlight over. Door opens onto shared granite platform with cast-iron bootscraper and six granite steps. Platform and basement enclosed by decorative wrought and cast-iron railings set on moulded granite plinth wall with matching gate giving access to basement.


This Georgian house was built as one of a pair and is now in use as a guesthouse and currently interconnected. The building has lost its original fenestration but retains its overall composition and a fine doorcase which contributes to the appeal of this elegant terrace and the wider streetscape. Gardiner Street Lower was developed by Luke Gardiner in the late eighteenth century, with leases dating from the 1790s. The street formed part of Gardiner's route from Beresford Place to Mountjoy Square with No. 40 forming part of a surviving terrace along this street.