Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1830 - 1850
Terraced two-bay four-storey house over raised basement, built c.1840, with two-storey return and built as pair with No. 38. Currently both in single use as charitable hostel. Replacement pitched slate roof behind parapet wall with granite coping. Shared rebuilt early twentieth-century brick chimneystack to south party wall. Yellow brick walls laid in Flemish bond on painted granite plinth course above rendered basement. Yellow brick walls to rear elevation laid in Flemish bond. Gauged brick flat-arched window openings with patent rendered reveals, painted granite sills and replacement timber sliding sash windows, replacement aluminium to rear. Gauged brick round-headed door opening with moulded surround and painted masonry Ionic doorcase. Original flat-panelled timber door with brass furniture, flanked by engaged Ionic columns on plinth blocks supporting panelled lintel cornice and replacement leaded fanlight over. Door opens onto shared granite platform with five nosed granite steps, bridging basement area. Platform and basement enclosed by wrought and cast-iron railings on painted moulded granite plinth wall with matching iron gate and steel mesh covering basement area. Two-storey brick former coach house to rear with replacement pitched slate roof and steel roller shutter.
Laid out by Gardiner in the 1790s as part of the development of Mountjoy Square and the Gardiner Estate, this section of Gardiner Street Lower was not completed until about 1840. Built as one of a pair the house retains its doorcase, decorative ironmongery and overall composition and forms a important part of a relatively intact stretch of late Georgian townhouses.