Survey Data

Reg No




Categories of Special Interest

Architectural, Artistic

Previous Name

Cemex Solicitors

Original Use



1830 - 1850


316250, 234829

Date Recorded


Date Updated



Terraced two-bay four-storey house over raised basement, built c.1840, built as pair with No. 36. M-profile roof, hipped to north, hidden behind parapet wall with granite coping. Rebuilt early twentieth-century brick chimneystack to south party wall with glazed clay pots. Painted brick walls laid in Flemish bond, set on painted granite plinth course above rendered basement. Yellow brick walls to rear elevation laid in Flemish bond. Gauged brick flat-arched window openings with patent rendered reveals, painted granite sills and replacement timber sliding sash windows throughout. Wrought-iron window guards to second and third floors. Gauged brick round-headed door opening with moulded surround and painted masonry Ionic doorcase. Replacement timber door flanked by engaged Ionic columns on plinth blocks supporting panelled lintel cornice and three-pane spoked fanlight over. Door opens onto shared granite platform with decorative cast-iron boot-scrape and five nosed granite steps, bridging basement area. Platform and basement enclosed by wrought and cast-iron railings on moulded granite plinth wall with matching iron gate giving basement access. Two-storey brick mews building to rear, largely rebuilt with pitched slate roof.


Laid out by Luke Gardiner in the 1790s as part of the development of Mountjoy Square and the Gardiner Estate, this section of Gardiner Street Lower was not completed until about 1840. Built as one of a pair the house retains its doorcase, decorative ironmongery and overall composition and forms a component part of this intact stretch of late Georgian townhouses.