Survey Data

Reg No




Categories of Special Interest

Architectural, Artistic

Original Use


In Use As



1830 - 1850


316243, 234842

Date Recorded


Date Updated



Terraced two-bay four-storey house over raised basement, built c.1840. M-profile roof, hipped to north, hidden behind parapet wall with granite coping. Rebuilt brick chimneystacks to south party wall with clay pots. Painted brick walls laid in Flemish bond, set on painted granite plinth course above rendered basement. Gauged brick flat-arched window openings with patent rendered reveals, painted granite sills and replacement aluminium windows. Gauged brick round-headed door opening with moulded surround and inset painted masonry Ionic doorcase. Replacement timber door flanked by engaged Ionic columns on plinth blocks supporting panelled lintel cornice and plain glazed fanlight over. Door opens onto granite platform with partially intact cast-iron bootscraper and five nosed granite steps, bridging basement area. Platform and basement enclosed by decorative wrought and cast-iron railings on moulded granite plinth wall with matching iron gate giving basement access. Two-storey yellow brick former coach house to rear with corrugated-iron roof and steel roller shutter.


Laid out by Gardiner in the 1790s as part of the development of Mountjoy Square and the Gardiner Estate, this section of Gardiner Street Lower was not completed until about 1840. Despite the loss of its windows, the house retains its doorcase, decorative ironmongery and overall composition while employing a largely Georgian style of architecture to complete the streetscape.