Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1810 - 1830
Terraced two-bay four-storey house over raised basement, built c.1820. Now in use as restaurant and guest house. M-profile pitched slate roof having recent red brick parapet wall with squared granite coping, rendered chimneystack and replacement uPVC rainwater goods. Flemish bond yellow brick walls, rebuilt in red brick in English garden wall bond above third floor level, having rendered walls to basement. Recent canvas retail canopies fixed to wall over ground floor window and door openings. Diminishing square-headed window openings with gauged brick voussoirs, patent rendered reveals, granite sills and replacement uPVC windows throughout. Flush rendered reveals to basement window openings. Recent decorative metal balconettes to ground and first floor window openings. Round-headed door opening having replacement gauged red brick voussoirs, moulded rendered reveals and stone doorcase comprising Composite columns on stone bases surmounted by fluted and architrave, cornice and replacement spoked fanlight. Replacement timber panelled door opening onto granite flagged platform with stepped approach. Square-headed door opening to basement with replacement timber panelled door. Approach flanked by wrought-iron railings having moulded granite plinth with wrought-iron railings enclosing basement area. Recent metal gate and steps granting access from street to paved basement area. Limited access to rear of building, with two-storey stone mews building on Mabbot Lane with modified façade and altered roof line.
Dating from the early nineteenth century, this well-appointed house forms an integral component of Gardiner Street Lower, a significant streetscape of the north Georgian city. Despite some recent alterations the building's historic form and character has survived largely intact with the survival of various original features including a pleasant doorcase, approach and enclosing railings. The survival of an associated mews building is also significant despite some recent alterations. Gardiner Street Lower was developed by Luke Gardiner in the late eighteenth century, with leases dating from the 1790s. Gardiner Street Lower formed part of Gardiner's route from Beresford Place to Mountjoy Square, and No.90 forms part of a surviving terrace along this route.