Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1810 - 1830
Terraced two-bay four-storey house over raised basement, built c.1820. Now in use as guest house. M-profile pitched slate roof having rendered chimneystack, replacement uPVC rainwater goods and brick parapet wall with squared granite coping. Flemish bond yellow brick walls, rebuilt in English garden wall bond above second floor window level, having moulded granite plinth above rendered walls to basement. Recent signage to ground floor. Diminishing square-headed window openings with gauged brick voussoirs, patent rendered reveals and granite sills. Rendered surround and sill to basement with replacement timber framed window. Replacement uPVC windows throughout with decorative cast-iron balconettes to first floor openings. Segmental-headed door opening with gauged brick voussoirs and moulded surround with decorative lion figurines inset within round recesses to corners and round-headed door opening within stone, render and brick doorcase. Doorcase comprising fluted Doric columns on squared bases surmounted by fluted and moulded architrave, cornice and replacement cobweb fanlight. Replacement timber panelled door with brick surround opening onto granite flagged platform with limestone threshold bridging basement area, having stepped granite approach. Approach flanked by spearheaded wrought-iron railings. Square-headed door opening to basement with replacement timber door. Moulded granite plinth surmounted by wrought-iron railings enclosing basement area. Recent metal gate and steps granting access to paved basement area. Recent single-storey mews building to rear of site occupying double-width plot shared with No.87.
Dating from the early nineteenth century, this well-appointed house forms an integral component of Gardiner Street Lower, a significant streetscape in the north Georgian city. Gardiner Street Lower was developed by Luke Gardiner in the late eighteenth century, with leases dating from the 1790s. Gardiner Street Lower formed part of Gardiner's route from Beresford Place to Mountjoy Square, with No.88 forming part of a surviving terrace along this street. Its unusually designed doorcase, although clearly not entirely original, is a pleasing feature and forms a central focus for the façade.