Survey Data

Reg No

50010180


Rating

Regional


Categories of Special Interest

Architectural, Artistic


Original Use

House


In Use As

Guest house/b&b


Date

1810 - 1830


Coordinates

316258, 234893


Date Recorded

11/10/2011


Date Updated

--/--/--


Description

Terraced two-bay four-storey house over raised basement, built c.1820, currently in use as guesthouse. Double-pile pitched slate roof, hipped to rear pile, having rendered chimneystacks, mixed cast-iron and replacement uPVC rainwater goods and yellow brick parapet wall with squared granite coping. Flemish bond yellow brick walls with moulded granite plinth over rendered basement area with rendered plinth. Diminishing square-headed window openings with gauged brick voussoirs, patent rendered reveals, granite sills and replacement timber sliding sash windows in three-over-three and six-over-six pane arrangements. Fixed timber-framed four-pane windows to ground floor flanking central sash window. Flush rendered reveals and iron grille to basement window. Round-headed door opening with gauged brick voussoirs, moulded rendered reveals and moulded doorcase comprising Ionic columns on squared plinths, surmounted by fluted and architrave, cornice and single-pane fanlight. Replacement timber panelled door opening onto granite flagged platform with stepped approach bridging basement area. Square-headed door opening to basement with replacement timber panelled door and timber-framed sidelight. Approach flanked by spearheaded cast-iron railings returning to enclose basement area on moulded granite plinth with cast-iron corner post. Replacement metal gate and steps granting access to basement area. Rear of plot built up and comprises series of connected buildings and extensive roof-lit two-storey warehouse mews building fronting onto Mabbot Lane. Small central yard allows access from main building to rear mews. Interior modified significantly to allow Nos. 85 and 86 to be used as single guesthouse, with openings inserted into party wall at all levels. Original staircases retained with original fireplace to ground floor reception room of No. 85. No original plasterwork evident.

Appraisal

Dating from the early nineteenth century, this house forms an integral component of Lower Gardiner Street, a significant streetscape in the north Georgian city. The building's historic character has survived largely intact with the retention of various items of historic fabric including a pleasant doorcase, sash windows and an unusual fenestration arrangement to the ground floor, all contributing positively to the fa├žade. The survival of an original staircase and other interior features enhances its architectural heritage value. Gardiner Street Lower was developed by Luke Gardiner in the late eighteenth century, with leases dating from the 1790s. Gardiner Street Lower formed part of Gardiner's route from Beresford Place to Mountjoy Square and No.89 forms part of a surviving terrace along this street.