Survey Data

Reg No




Categories of Special Interest

Architectural, Artistic

Original Use


In Use As



1810 - 1830


316264, 234880

Date Recorded


Date Updated



Terraced two-bay four-storey house over raised basement, built c.1820, now in use as hostel. Pitched slate roof with hipped rear sections and rendered chimneystack having clay pots to front and rear, along boundary with No. 82 behind granite-capped parapet wall with replacement uPVC rainwater goods breaking through. Yellow brick walls laid in Flemish bond to painted, chamfered granite plinth course above painted rendered basement wall. Third floor rebuilt in machine-made brown brick laid in English garden wall bond. Diminishing gauged flat-arched window openings with painted patent reveals and granite sills to ground floor, concrete sills to first, second, third floors and basement. Replacement timber sash windows throughout, three-over-three pane to third floor, six-over-six to ground, first and second floors, and eight-over-eight to basement. Gauged round-headed brick door opening having moulded rendered reveal and painted stone doorcase comprising engaged Ionic pillars with fluted lintel supporting simple painted timber spoked fanlight, with original wrought-iron security guard behind. Replacement painted timber panelled door opens onto granite platform and three granite steps bridging basement and flanked by steel railings returning to south on moulded granite plinth wall to enclose basement area and having matching gate. Squared granite coping over party wall to basement area, shared with and allowing access to No. 82.


Dating from the early nineteenth century, this house forms an integral component of Gardiner Street Lower, a significant streetscape in the north Georgian city. Gardiner Street Lower was developed by Gardiner in the late eighteenth century, with leases dating from the 1790s, and formed part of Gardiner’s route from Beresford Place to Mountjoy Square. The timber sash windows have been replaced, and several of the granite sills have been replaced with concrete, but the building retains its façade composition and maintains a positive contribution to the overall streetscape.