Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1810 - 1830
Terraced two-bay four-storey house over raised basement, built c.1820, currently in use as guesthouse. M-profile pitched slate roof, hipped to north, with squared granite coping and stepped yellow brick chimneystacks to boundary with No. 78. Flemish bond yellow brick walls (recently re-pointed) having moulded granite plinth over rendered walls and basal plinth to basement area. Diminishing square-headed window openings having gauged brick voussoirs, patent rendered reveals, granite sills and replacement single-pane timber sliding sash windows to ground, first, second and third floors, with replacement uPVC window to basement. Recent decorative metal balconettes to first floor windows and recent steel window guards to second floor. Round-headed door opening with gauged brick voussoirs, patent rendered reveals and stone doorcase comprising Roman Doric columns, with floral and egg and dart capital detail (partially obscured by paint), on stone bases surmounted by Doric frieze displaying alternating triglyphs and metopes, and projecting masonry cornice with single-pane overlight. Timber panelled door with ten raised-and-fielded panels opening onto granite flagged platform bridging basement having stepped granite approach and original wrought-iron bootscraper. Approach flanked by spearheaded wrought-iron railings on moulded granite plinths returning to enclose basement area, with decorative posts displaying urn finials. Square-headed door opening to basement with replacement uPVC door and sidelight. Limited access to rear of building. Five-storey building to Mabbot Lane occupies significant depth of plot and spans triple plot width across Nos. 77-79.
Dating from the early nineteenth century, this house forms an integral component of Lower Gardiner Street, a significant streetscape in the north Georgian city. Despite recent alterations, the building's historic form and character has survived largely intact with the survival of various original features including a pleasant doorcase, approach and enclosing railings. Lower Gardiner Street was developed by Gardiner in the late eighteenth century, with leases dating from the 1790s. This street was formed part of Gardiner's route from Beresford Place to Mountjoy Square, and No.79 forms part of the surviving terrace along this route.