Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1810 - 1830
Terraced two-bay four-storey house over raised basement, built c.1820, currently in use as offices. M-profile pitched slate roof, hipped to south, concealed behind parapet wall with squared granite coping. Stepped yellow brick chimneystack with lipped clay pots to boundary with No. 77. Yellow brick walls laid in Flemish bond with rebuilt to second and third floor, having moulded granite plinth course over coursed limestone walls to basement. Red brick party wall with granite coping to basement area. Diminishing square-headed window openings with gauged brick voussoirs, patent rendered reveals, granite sills and timber sliding sash windows. Six-over-six pane arrangements throughout with exception of six-over-three pane to basement with iron window guard. Original wrought-iron balconettes to first floor openings. Round-headed door opening with gauged brick voussoirs and painted stone doorcase comprising Roman Doric columns, with floral and egg and dart capital detail, on stone bases surmounted by Doric frieze displaying alternating triglyphs and metopes, projecting masonry cornice and single-pane fanlight. Replacement timber panelled door opening onto granite flagged platform bridging basement with flight of four bull-nosed granite steps. Approach flanked by spearheaded wrought-iron railings on moulded granite plinths returning to enclose basement area, with decorative posts displaying urn finials. Square-headed door opening to basement with replacement timber door with sidelight. Replacement gate to railings but no steps allowing access to basement area from street. Original decorative sandstone water tank located in basement area adjacent to boundary with No.77. Limited access to rear of property which is heavily developed. Surviving façade of original stone mews building addresses Mabbot Lane.
Dating from the early nineteenth century, this well-appointed house forms an integral component of Lower Gardiner Street, a significant streetscape of the north Georgian city. The building has retained much of its historic form and character with the use of historically sympathetic materials complementing the remaining historic features including a fine doorcase, granite stepped approach and enclosing railings. The rhythm of the terrace is marked by the paired doorcases repeating the length of the block. The Roman Doric doorcase is a somewhat unusual feature in Dublin, and matches those of Nos.75 to 80, suggesting that these houses were developed as a group. A surviving decorative sandstone water tank in the basement area is also significant. Lower Gardiner Street was developed by Gardiner in the late eighteenth century, with leases dating from the 1790s. Lower Gardiner Street formed part of Gardiner’s route from Beresford Place to Mountjoy Square, and No.76 forms part of a surviving terrace along this street.