Survey Data

Reg No




Categories of Special Interest


Original Use


In Use As



1810 - 1830


316292, 234817

Date Recorded


Date Updated



Terraced two-bay four-storey house over raised basement, built c.1820, currently in use as hotel (occupying Nos. 71-73 Lower Gardiner Street). No trace of original doorcase or detailing as front facade appears to have been rebuilt from top of ground floor to parapet. M-profile slate roof, hipped to south, concealed behind parapet wall with squared granite coping and cast iron hopper and downpipe. Yellow brick chimneystack with clay pots to boundary with No.74. Red brick walls laid in stretcher bond to moulded granite plinth course over rendered walls to basement area. Diminishing square-headed window openings with gauged brick voussoirs, granite sills and replacement windows throughout including replacement single-pane timber sliding sash windows to ground floor and basement openings. Decorative metal balconettes to first floor windows and iron grille to basement. Square-headed door opening with flush reveals, glazed timber door and single-pane overlight. Door opens onto granite platform bridging basement area, with granite stepped approach. Approach flanked by wrought-iron railings with cast-iron finials, on moulded granite plinths returning to enclose basement area. Square-headed door opening to basement with replacement timber panelled door. Replacement gate and concrete steps allowing access to the basement area from street. Limited access to rear of property which has been heavily developed. Original brick mews structure addresses Mabbot Lane, with altered façade and roof.


Dating from the early nineteenth century, this pleasantly proportioned house forms an integral component of Lower Gardiner Street, a significant streetscape of the north Georgian city. It now forms part of a hotel which occupies Nos.71-73 Lower Gardiner Street and has evidently been altered to accommodate this joint occupancy. Despite considerable alterations to the façade, the greater part of which appears to have been rebuilt in the recent past, the building and its associated site have retained much of their historic form and character with some remaining historic features including granite stepped approach and enclosing railings. The survival of an associated mews building is also significant despite undergoing considerable alteration. Lower Gardiner Street was developed by Gardiner in the late eighteenth century, with leases dating from the 1790s. Lower Gardiner Street formed part of Gardiner’s route from Beresford Place to Mountjoy Square, and No.73 forms part of a surviving terrace along this street.