Survey Data

Reg No

50010165


Rating

Regional


Categories of Special Interest

Architectural Artistic


Original Use

House


In Use As

Office


Date

1820 - 1830


Coordinates

316287, 234747


Date Recorded

04/10/2011


Date Updated

--/--/--


Description

Terraced two-bay four-storey house over raised basement, built c.1825, now in commercial office use. M-profile slate roof, hipped to south, hidden behind parapet wall with granite coping. Stepped brick chimneystacks with clay pots to north party wall. Brown brick walls laid in Flemish bond with original lime pointing, set on chamfered granite plinth course over rendered basement wall. Gauged brick flat-arched window openings with patent rendered reveals, painted granite sills and replacement timber sliding sash windows. Cast-iron balconettes to first floor windows. Gauged brick round-headed door opening with projecting stucco surround and painted masonry Ionic doorcase. Replacement timber door with eleven raised-and-fielded panels flanked by engaged Ionic columns on plinth bases supporting panelled lintel cornice and plain glazed fanlight over with ironwork to interior. Door opens onto granite paved platform and six granite steps bridging basement. Platform and basement enclosed by replacement steel railings set on moulded granite plinth wall with further railings dividing platform and steps from adjoining house to south.

Appraisal

This Georgian house was built as part of a terrace of eight houses laid out in 1790 by Luke Gardiner. Developed in the 1820s, the houses were initially occupied by members of the legal profession and linked the Custom House with Mountjoy Square. Despite having had its windows replaced, this house retains an original doorcase, ironmongery and overall composition, making a marked contribution to the intact appearance of this coherent Georgian streetscape.