Survey Data

Reg No

50010164


Rating

Regional


Categories of Special Interest

Architectural Artistic


Original Use

House


In Use As

Hostel


Date

1820 - 1830


Coordinates

316291, 234742


Date Recorded

04/10/2011


Date Updated

--/--/--


Description

Terraced two-bay four-storey house over raised basement, built c.1825, with three-storey brick return. Now in use as guesthouse, together with Nos. 47 and 48. M-profile slate roof, hipped to north, hidden behind parapet wall with granite coping. Rebuilt brick chimneystacks with clay pots to south party wall. Brown brick walls laid in Flemish bond with original lime pointing, re-pointed in cement to upper two floors, set on chamfered granite plinth course over rendered basement wall. Yellow brick walls to rear elevation laid in English garden wall bond. Gauged brick flat-arched window openings with patent rendered reveals, painted granite sills and replacement timber sliding sash windows. Replacement hardwood sash and casement windows to rear elevation. Wrought-iron balconettes to first floor windows with further cast-iron balconettes to second floor of return. Gauged brick round-headed door opening with projecting stucco surround and painted masonry Ionic doorcase. Original timber door with eleven raised-and-fielded panels flanked by engaged Ionic columns on plinth bases supporting panelled lintel cornice and plain glazed fanlight over. Door opens onto granite paved platform with decorative cast-iron boot-scraper and six granite steps bridging the basement. Platform and basement enclosed by wrought-iron railings and cast-iron corner posts set on moulded granite plinth wall with further railings dividing platform and steps from adjoining house to north. Bridged basement well to rear elevation. Recent four-storey brick apartment development to rear site spanning the sites of four former coach houses, accessed off Beresford Lane.

Appraisal

This former Georgian townhouse, built as part of a terrace of eight houses, was laid out in 1790 by Luke Gardiner. Developed in the 1820s, this terrace was initially occupied by members of the legal profession and linked the Custom House with Mountjoy Square. Retaining much of its original external fabric including an original doorcase, ironmongery and overall composition, the former townhouse makes a positive contribution to the intact appearance of this coherent Georgian streetscape.