Survey Data

Reg No

50010161


Rating

Regional


Categories of Special Interest

Architectural Artistic


Original Use

House


In Use As

Guest house/b&b


Date

1820 - 1830


Coordinates

316301, 234722


Date Recorded

04/10/2011


Date Updated

--/--/--


Description

End-of-terrace two-bay four-storey house over raised basement, built c.1825, with two-storey return. Built as part of terrace, now in use as bed and breakfast. M-profile slate roof, hipped to south, behind rendered parapet wall with granite coping and replacement rainwater goods breaking through to south gable. Stepped brick chimneystacks with clay pots to north party wall. Yellow brick walls laid in Flemish bond on granite plinth course over rendered basement wall. Yellow brick walls to rear elevation laid in English garden wall bond with ruled-and-lined cement rendered south gable. Gauged brick flat-arched window openings with patent rendered reveals, painted granite sills and replacement timber sliding sash windows throughout. Cast-iron balconettes to first floor and wrought-iron window guards to second and third floors. Early eight-over-eight pane timber sliding sash window with iron grille to basement. Gauged brick round-headed door opening with moulded masonry surround and painted masonry Ionic doorcase. Replacement timber door flanked by engaged Ionic columns on plinth bases supporting panelled lintel cornice and original petal fanlight. Door opens onto granite platform and five granite steps bridging basement. Platform and basement area enclosed by original wrought-iron railings and cast-iron corner posts on granite plinth wall with matching iron gate and steep steps giving basement access.

Appraisal

Gardiner Street Lower was laid out in 1790 by Luke Gardiner, linking the Custom House to Mountjoy Square. This end of the street was not developed until the 1820s when members of the legal profession took up residence. Terminating a terrace of eight houses, and framing the former Trinity Church, this house retains an original doorcase, ironmongery and fa├žade composition. As the southernmost house on the west side of the street, it forms part of a well-presented stretch of Georgian townhouses on the northern approach to the Custom House resulting in a most attractive streetscape.