Survey Data

Reg No

50010157


Rating

Regional


Categories of Special Interest

Architectural Artistic


Original Use

House


In Use As

Hostel


Date

1830 - 1850


Coordinates

316338, 234723


Date Recorded

16/10/2011


Date Updated

--/--/--


Description

Terraced two-bay four-storey house over raised basement, built c.1840, now in use as hostel accommodation. M-profile tiled roof with clay ridge and hipped to south, set behind red brick parapet with squared granite coping. Stepped brown brick chimneystack, shared with No. 62 and having shared cast-iron rainwater goods. Brown brick walls laid in Flemish bond having granite plinth course over rendered basement areal. Diminishing square-headed window openings with gauged-brick voussoirs, patent rendered reveals and granite sills. Timber sliding sash windows, three-over-three pane to top floor, basement window being six-over-three pane with recent security bars, and six-over-six pane elsewhere. Round-headed door opening with gauged-brick voussoirs, rendered reveals and stone doorcase comprising engaged Ionic columns surmounted by panelled lintel with moulded cornice and decorative leaded petal design glazed fanlight. Recent timber paneled door opening onto granite flagged platform and approach with five bull-nosed steps shared with neighbour. Central dividing granite plinth with wrought-iron railings to platform having later wrought-iron railings with gate enclosing flagged basement area. Access to basement area granted via recent timber and steel staircase. Square-headed door opening to basement with timber battened door. Rear has vehicular entrance, double-leaf steel sheeted doors adjoining two-storey, roughcast rendered mews structure having single-bay and pitched roof with corrugated sheeting.

Appraisal

This finely-proportioned house was one of the later buildings developed in a largely intact terrace. Such terraces are now a rarity in Dublin. The building retains various historic features including a fine original doorcase and although later replacements, the windows are historically sympathetic. The use of concrete tiles to the roof is unfortunate and the replacement railing is a poor substitute for the original railing, part of which remains on the dividing plinth wall. However, as part of the wider terrace this largely intact building retains its architectural significance as part of a coherent Georgian streetscape.