Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1820 - 1830
Terraced two-bay four-storey house over raised basement, built c.1825. Now in use as guesthouse. M-profile pitched slate roof with clay ridge tiles, shared stepped rendered chimneystack, brick parapet with squared granite coping and replacement uPVC rainwater goods. Flemish bond brick walls with granite plinth course over rendered basement area. Diminishing square-headed window openings with gauged-brick voussoirs, patent rendered reveals and granite sills. Replacement timber casements throughout front elevation with recent window guard to basement opening. Replacement timber sliding sash windows to rear (east). Round-headed stairwell window opening to rear elevation having multiple-pane timber-framed window. Three-centred-arch door opening with rendered reveal and stuccoed doorcase comprising engaged fluted Ionic columns supporting panelled pediment with laurel motifs and cornice surmounted by single-pane fanlight. Timber panelled door with original cast-iron fittings opening onto shared granite flagged platform with cast-iron boot-scraper and stepped approach bridging basement area. Approach flanked by cast-iron railings on moulded granite plinth returning to enclose basement area. Square-headed door opening to basement having recent glazed timber door.
This house is located to the east side of Gardiner Street Lower and is part of a largely intact brick Georgian terrace stretching from Talbot Street to the Loop Line Bridge. This house is the only one to have been painted though it has maintained its original door and doorcase which match others along this section of the street. This street laid out in the 1790s by Luke Gardiner as part of a planned route which linked the new symbol of the mercantile power base, the Custom House with Mountjoy Square, Gardiner's planned upper-class residential development on an elevated site to the north. The houses on Gardiner Street Middle and Lower formed a vista focused on the rear portico of the Custom House, though later disrupted by the installation (1888-89) of the raised Loop Line Bridge to this end of Gardiner Street.