Categories of Special Interest
Architectural Artistic Social
In Use As
1870 - 1890
Terraced single-bay,three-storey Victorian brick mixed use premises, built c.1880. Pitched slate roof with terracotta ridge tiles gabled to front elevation. Ornate curvilinear parapet with moulded limestone coping having ball finial at apex. Cast-iron rainwater goods breaking through below parapet. Red brick walls laid in Flemish bond to ground floor shopfront with central window bay broken forward and flanked by flat brick pilasters, moulded brick architrave, and moulded brick string courses running into head of pilasters and to head of first floor windows. Gauged brick three-point-arch opening to central window bay with brick reveals and fluted limestone keystone. Moulded brick frame having carved foliate panel above. Two-over-two sliding timber sash windows to first and second floors flanked by narrow fixed lights, the lower window with narrow fixed light above. Original Victorian shopfront having fluted pilasters and carved console brackets flanking two-pane display window on dwarf wall with painted timber replacement door giving access to internal lobby to north. Entrance lobby giving access to shop and residential premises above via two-pane round-arched internal glazed door with rectangular overlight. External door opens onto bull-nosed limestone step running across shopfront.
This finely-detailed retail premises retains a wealth of original material, including the Victorian shopfront with good decorative console brackets, as well as the elaborate and finely moulded limestone coping above. It forms part of a Victorian terrace and adds variety and charm to this busy commercial street.