Survey Data

Reg No




Categories of Special Interest

Architectural Artistic

Original Use


In Use As



1805 - 1815


316693, 235042

Date Recorded


Date Updated



Terraced three-bay three-storey house over raised basement, built c.1810. Built as one of pair with shared integral carriage opening. Now in use as offices. Hipped slate roof behind parapet with granite coping, no visible chimneystack. Cast-iron hopper and downpipe. Red brick walling laid down in Flemish bond. Granite plinth course over rendered wall to basement area. Gauged red brick flat-arched window openings, with patent rendered reveals, painted sills, and replacement uPVC windows. Square-headed window opening to basement area with replacement uPVC window. Round-headed door opening with stone surround and replacement timber panelled door flanked by engaged Ionic columns supporting fluted frieze and stepped cornice with replacement leaded fanlight. Approached via concrete platform with three granite steps, flanked by wrought-iron handrails. Elliptical-headed opening to carriage arch with gauged red brick voussoirs, timber panel to arch head. Recent steel double-leaf gates give access to rear. Area bounded by granite plinths surmounted by original wrought-iron railings with spike finials. Corner posts with remains of pine cone finials.


This house stands on Amiens Street, originally known as 'The Strand', its name changed c.1800 in honour of Viscount Amiens, later the Earl of Aldborough. This group of houses was built in the style characteristic of the early Georgian period with pleasing portions and fine detailing. The character of the surrounding area was greatly impacted by the arrival of the railway within a couple of decades of the construction of the houses. The survival of the Adamesque doorcase contributes greatly to its architectural heritage significance. The front elevation is further enhanced by the elegant shared carriage opening to the centre of the pair of houses which contributes to the texture and variety of the streetscape.