Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1805 - 1815
Terraced three-bay three-storey house over raised basement, built c.1810. Built as one of pair with shared integral carriage opening. Now in use as offices. Pitched slate roof behind parapet with granite coping, corbelled rendered chimneystack with terracotta pots. No visible rainwater goods. Red brick walling laid down in Flemish bond. Granite plinth course over rendered wall to basement area Gauged, flat-arched window openings, having patent render reveals, painted sills and replacement uPVC windows. Square-headed window opening to basement area with replacement uPVC window. Round-headed door opening with stone surround, replacement timber panelled door flanked by engaged Ionic columns supporting fluted frieze and stepped cornice with replacement leaded fanlight. Approached via concrete platform with three concrete steps, flanked by wrought-iron handrails. Elliptical-headed opening to carriage arch with gauged red brick voussoirs, timber panel to arch head. Recent steel double-leaf gates give access to rear. Area bounded by concrete plinths surmounted by replacement wrought-iron railings with spike finials.
Amiens Street, on which this house stands, was originally known as 'The Strand', with its name changed c.1800 in honour of Viscount Amiens, later the Earl of Aldborough. This group of houses was built in the style characteristic of the early Georgian period with pleasing portions and fine detailing. The character of the surrounding area was greatly impacted by the arrival of the railway within a couple of decades of the construction of the houses. The survival of the Adamesque doorcase contributes greatly to its architectural heritage significance. The front elevation is further enhanced by the elegant shared carriage opening to the centre of the pair of houses, which contributes to the texture and variety of the streetscape.