Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1805 - 1815
Terraced three-bay three-storey house over raised basement, built c.1810, now in use as office. One of group of three. Hipped slate roof behind parapet with granite coping, corbelled rendered chimneystack with terracotta pots. No visible rainwater goods. Red brick walling laid down in Flemish bond, painted to first floor level. Granite plinth course over rendered wall to basement area. Gauged flat-arched window openings, with patent rendered reveals, painted sills, and replacement six-over-six pane timber sliding sash windows. Segmental-headed door opening with stone surround having timber panelled door, flanked by engaged Ionic columns supporting fluted frieze and stepped cornice with decorative leaded fanlight. Door opens onto granite platform with three granite steps, bridging basement, flanked by wrought-iron handrails. Area bounded by granite plinths surmounted by wrought-iron railings with spike finials.
Amiens Street was originally known as 'The Strand', with its name changed c.1800 in honour of Viscount Amiens, later the Earl of Aldborough. This group of houses was built in the style characteristic of the early Georgian period with pleasing proportions and fine detailing. The character of the surrounding area was greatly impacted by the arrival of the railway era within a couple of decades of the construction of the houses. The survival of the Adamesque doorcase contributes greatly to its architectural heritage significance.