Categories of Special Interest
1805 - 1815
End-of-terrace three-bay three-storey house over raised basement, built c.1810. Now derelict. One of terrace of four. Hipped slate roof behind parapet with granite coping, corbelled red brick chimneystack with yellow clay pots. Replacement hopper and downpipe. Brown brick walling laid down in Flemish bond, partially replaced at second floor level. Lower levels not visible behind hoardings. Cast-iron wall-tie. Gauged, flat-arched window openings with patent render reveals, painted sills, six-over-six pane timber sliding sash windows to second floor, replacement uPVC windows elsewhere. Round-headed door opening. Doorcase not visible. Located fronting onto street.
The surroundings of this elegant Georgian terrace were much altered by the arrival of the Dublin and Drogheda railway, later the Great Northern Railway line which now terminates the street. As the end-of-terrace house, No. 4 Preston Street is located in close proximity to the railway line. Although now in poor condition it continues to play an indispensable role in this composed streetscape. The balanced proportions of the front façade are characteristic of this period. The survival of some early fabric, such as the second floor windows, contributes to its architectural heritage significance.