Survey Data

Reg No




Categories of Special Interest


Original Use


In Use As



1820 - 1840


316846, 235495

Date Recorded


Date Updated



Terraced two-bay two-storey house over raised basement, built c.1830. One of terrace of eight. Pitched slate roof with red brick chimneystacks behind brick parapet with granite coping. No visible rainwater goods. Flemish bond brown brick walls with stone plinth course over rendered basement area. Square-headed window openings with gauged brick voussoirs, patent rendered reveals, stone sills and six-over-six pane timber sliding sash windows. Round-headed door opening with stone surround and doorcase comprising replacement brown brick piers supporting stepped cornice and plain frieze with single-pane fanlight. Timber panelled door opening onto granite flagged approach with pair of cast-iron bootscrapers and granite stepped approach shared with neighbour and flanked by moulded granite plinth with wrought-iron railings and cast-iron corner posts with urn finials. Basement area bounded by granite plinth surmounted by wrought-iron railings with spike finials. Site is street-fronted with cast-iron coal hole cover in granite setting to concrete footpath.


This finely proportioned house maintains the strong street line and proportions of this part of Charleville Mall. It is an integral component of the streetscape but after the bombing of the North Strand in 1941 some of the houses were so badly damaged that demolition was required.