Survey Data

Reg No




Categories of Special Interest

Architectural, Artistic

Previous Name

The Moorings

Original Use


In Use As



1820 - 1840


316855, 235487

Date Recorded


Date Updated



Terraced two-bay two-storey house over basement, built c.1830. One of terrace of eight. Pitched slate roof with red brick chimneystacks behind brick parapet with granite coping and replacement hopper and down pipe. Flemish bond brown brick wall with dressed stone plinth course over rendered wall to basement area. Square-headed window openings with gauged brick voussoirs, patent rendered reveals, stone sills and replacement uPVC windows. Round-headed door opening with stone surround and doorcase comprising engaged Ionic columns supporting stepped cornice and plain frieze with decorative leaded fanlight. Replacement timber panelled door opening onto granite flagged platform with cast-iron bootscraper and granite stepped approach bridging basement area. Approach, shared with neighbour, flanked by moulded granite plinth with wrought-iron railings and cast-iron corner posts with urn finials. Basement area bounded by granite plinth surmounted by wrought-iron railings with spike finials. Site is street-fronted with cast-iron coal hole cover in granite setting to concrete footpath.


This finely proportioned building maintains the strong street line and proportions of this part of Charleville Mall. It is an integral component of the streetscape and this Georgian terrace occupies a notable site facing the Royal Canal. The terrace originally comprised thirteen houses, but after the bombing of the North Strand in 1941 some of the houses were so badly damaged that demolition was required.