Survey Data

Reg No




Categories of Special Interest

Architectural, Cultural, Social

Original Use


In Use As



1900 - 1905


316773, 235503

Date Recorded


Date Updated



Detached corner-sited five-bay three-storey school over raised basement, built 1904. Single-bay three-storey block to rear elevation with exposed basement level. Flat roofs with overhanging eaves and cast-iron rainwater goods. Recessed rendered panels to wall having separating bands and quoin bands of red brick in Flemish bond. Red brick platband over basement level to front elevation and having chamfered granite plinth course throughout. Square-headed window openings throughout having patent rendered reveals and replacement multiple-pane windows. Square-headed window openings to basement level having wrought-iron window bars, red brick reveals and concrete lintels. Pointed-arch door opening to front (south) elevation, having gauged red brick voussoirs, chamfered reveals and timber-framed overlight and sidelights over timber recessed panels. Timber panelled double-leaf doors having herringbone pattern, brass door handles and kick plate having single granite step to street level. Street-fronted with recent flat-roofed school buildings to rear of site.


This school is an interesting transitional building which demonstrates elements of the Modern Movement with its flat roof, large rendered panels at the side and rear elevations, while retaining much of the red brick embellishments more characteristic of the turn of the twentieth century. The pointed-arch door and moulded brick lend an almost nostalgic tone to the front elevation of this tall, even imposing building, in a narrow street. Saint Vincent's Boys' School, which is located adjacent to Saint Agatha's Church, has played a vital role in the educational and social life of the area for more than a century. It is also of cultural significance as the former school of writer Brendan Behan. The school was set up by the Daughters of Charity who follow the teachings of Saint Vincent de Paul and Saint Louise de Marillac. They celebrated 150 years in North William Street in 2007.