Categories of Special Interest
Architectural Technical Social
In Use As
1780 - 1800
Granite canal bridge, built c.1790, carrying North Strand Road over Royal Canal, lowered and altered c.1873. Round central arch with decorative moulded archivolt and vermiculated keystone, flanked by pointed arch to each side, also having decorative moulded granite surrounds, iron grilles and remnants of former stone steps descending into both arches. Bridge is abutted by coursed ashlar limestone lock walls with limestone copings. Portland stone oval plaque above central arch, with indecipherable lettering. Both elevations have identical detailing rising to low parapet walls surmounted by saddle-back granite copings. Curved abutments to west elevation only, becoming rubble calp limestone walls with half-round granite copings and lining slipway leading to lockkeeper’s house and lock. Abutting northeast side of bridge is early twentieth-century concrete road-over-rail bridge.
This bridge forms part of an important group of structures associated with the Royal Canal, begun in the late eighteenth century to provide freight and passenger transport between the rivers Liffey and Shannon. This was designed and constructed with a high level of expertise, and the quality of the masonry attests to the ambitious plans of the canal company. A functional, yet aesthetically pleasing, structure with its pointed-arch openings and moulded architrave surrounds, this bridge is contextualised by the adjacent lock and lockkeeper’s house. The bridge was named after William Gleadowe Newcomen of Newcomen’s Bank on Castle Street, Dublin, who appears to have been involved in the construction of the canal.