Categories of Special Interest
Architectural, Artistic, Social, Technical
In Use As
1870 - 1890
Freestanding cast-iron lamp standard and fountain, erected c.1880, comprising acanthus detailed base, fluted shaft supported on scrolled brackets on square-plan pedestal. Decorative ironwork lion’s head (originally water spouts) to each elevation surrounded by decorative panels having stylised leaf-motif water basins, now filled in, with geometric plaques to each corner. Surmounted by five lamp brackets on foliated arms with five lanterns on hexagonal plans with moulded capping having crown motif. Converted to use electricity c.1900. Street fronted on traffic island.
This structure has been a Dublin landmark since its erection, c.1880, to the memory of General Henry Hall who served with the British Army in India. This elaborately decorated lamp standard is of artistic significance for the high level of craftsmanship demonstrated in its design and execution. It is of technical significance for its connection to the progress in the late nineteenth century in the provision of public lighting and the improved techniques in cast-iron production. Social significance derives from the role of private patronage in tackling the slum conditions of the period by the provision of clean drinking water at the fountain which would otherwise have not been available to the local population. The five lamps address the five streets which come together at this point and the structure recognises the ancient role of this area as a gateway to the city of Dublin.