1820 - 1840
Semi-detached two-bay single-storey house over basement, built c.1830. Scheduled for demolition in 2011. Double-pile pitched slate roof with rendered chimneystack to south gable and at centre shared with neighbour to south, with yellow clay pots. Brick parapet with squared granite coping and no visible rainwater goods. Flemish bond brown brick walls with granite plinth course over rendered basement area. Square-headed window openings with gauged brick voussoirs, patent rendered reveals, rendered sills and replacement windows. Camber-headed door opening with moulded render surround and doorcase comprising engaged pilasters with recessed panels and foliate console brackets, surmounted by cornice and frieze with single-pane fanlight. Door opens onto granite platform bridging basement area with granite stepped approach. Approach flanked by wrought-iron handrails with spike finials and corner posts having urn finials. Located set back from street with basement area/yard bounded by plinth walls surmounted by wrought-iron railings with spike finials. Square-plan rendered gate piers with triangular caps, holding wrought-iron pedestrian gate.
This is one of a pair of attractive small-scale houses characteristic of the early nineteenth century. Its front elevation is a harmonious composition with the unusual feature of three windows, implying that one house has two windows and the other has only one. The building is located at a busy intersection, facing the Dublin landmark of the Five Lamps and is a pleasant feature of the streetscape.