Categories of Special Interest
Artistic Social Technical
In Use As
1890 - 1910
Wrought and cast-iron single-span bascule draw bridge, erected c.1900, carrying Sherrif Street on east-west axis over the Royal Canal as it enters Spencer Dock with two commemorative stones to east side. Now inoperable. Riveted iron frame supported on two iron pylons with box weight to west and iron arms to east attached to tarmac carriageway with riveted panelled iron panels. Replacement steel parapet railings to timber boarded pedestrian decks to either side. Pair of riveted iron gates to east side only. Pair of limestone carved commemorative stones to east behind railings, that to north stating 'Spenser Dock 15th of April 1873', that to south with coat of arms of 'Midland & Great Western Railway of Ireland 1845'. Low squared calp limestone canal walls to east and west with curved embankment to east and slipway enclosed by rubble calp limestone walls.
Built between 1789 and 1817 the Royal Canal connected Spencer Dock to the River Shannon. Formally closed in 1961, the canal has gradually been restored and was re-opened c.2010. The commemorative stones were erected on the 15th August 1873 by John Poyntz Spencer, Lord Lieutenant of Ireland, who officially opened the docks in his honour. Although no longer functioning as a bascule draw bridge, this remnant from the canal infrastructure continues to carry traffic across the canal. Now in a semi-derelict state, the bridge retains the industrial aesthetic of the area and forms a visual focal point of the recently landscaped Spencer Dock area.