Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1930 - 1940
Pair of wrought-iron Scherzer rolling lift bascule bridges, erected c.1935, modelled on bridges of 1911-12 on North Wall Quay, and carrying east and west carriageways over Royal Canal as it meets Liffey. Constructed of riveted wrought-iron with box-like structures crossing carriageways rising from curved sections with corresponding tread plates to carriageway. Each bridge is supported on iron supports flanking carriageway. Curved sections extend eastwards as riveted iron parapets crossing canal, braced at forty-five degree angle to elevated box sections. Timber pedestrian decks cantilevered from iron parapets, concrete paved to north and timber boarded to south and central passage, enclosed by iron railings and arched structure to centre. Four riveted wrought-iron gates on dome-capped iron posts, formerly enclosing each carriageway to either end. Dock to north replaced by modern steel dock gates c.2010 with original granite retaining walls and granite ashlar coping to south end having shaped granite bollards and flight of granite steps to west. Rubble stone walls enclosing dock to north side with tooled semi-circular coping and rock-faced granite ashlar piers, curved to junction with Guild Street. Counterweights not visible below deck.
This pair of Scherzer bridges were constructed to a design patented by William Scherzer of Chicago which swiftly proliferated throughout the world. This design was the most common type of movable bridge for their speed and minimal energy needed for operation. With a matching pair a short distance to the west, these bascule bridges exhibit a rugged industrial beauty that greatly complements the docklands' industrial past. They form an interesting group with the earlier bridges (and examplars) on North Wall Quay.