Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1910 - 1915
Pair of single-span bascule or rolling lift bridges over lock, installed 1911-2. Repaired, 2003. Sited spanning lock with granite ashlar battered retaining walls having cut-granite coping.
A pair of bascule or rolling lift bridges supplied by Spencer and Company (established 1884) of Melksham, Wiltshire, to designs by Sir John Purser Griffith (1848-1938) of Dublin based on the "Scherzer Rolling Lift Bridge" invented by the Chicago-based engineer William Donald Scherzer (1858-93) and patented (1893) by the Scherzer Rolling Lift Bridge Company (cf. 50010001). NOTE: The bridges replaced a Turner and Gibson (fl. 1857-62)-designed drawbridge installed (1860) by the Midland Great Western Railway of Ireland.