Survey Data

Reg No




Categories of Special Interest

Architectural, Historical, Technical

Original Use


In Use As



1820 - 1825


316647, 234602

Date Recorded


Date Updated



Rectangular stone wet dock, built 1821, to designs of John Rennie with lock opening into Inner Dock to north and further lock connecting to Liffey to south. Built of squared coursed limestone ashlar walls, slightly battered with large squared granite coping. Curved walls to entrances of both locks with several granite bollards and cast-iron mooring ties located to perimeter. Now used for public events with modern steel deck structure to centre, two geysers and stainless steel railing encircling entire dock.


This stone-built dock was designed by John Rennie who also designed the Tobacco Warehouse (50010003) and several dock structures in London. Named after George IV, who travelled to Ireland in 1821 to officially open the dock, he failed to turn up and was instead opened by Lord Castlecoote. Exhibiting quality stone masonry skills the dock is an example of Georgian maritime engineering and its retention and refurbishment during the redevelopment of the area has provided a focal point for cultural public events while providing a fitting setting to Rennie's Stack A warehouse to the east.