Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1910 - 1915
Pair of wrought-iron Scherzer rolling lift bascule bridges, erected 1911-12, carrying east and west carriageways of street over channel connecting George's Dock to Liffey. Constructed of riveted wrought-iron with box-like structures crossing carriageways rising from curved sections with corresponding tread plates to carriageway. Each bridge is supported on iron supports flanking carriageway. Curved sections extend eastwards as riveted iron parapets braced at forty-five degree angle to elevated box sections. Counterweights not visible below deck.
This pair of Scherzer bridges were constructed to a design patented by William Scherzer of Chicago which swiftly proliferated throughout the world. This design was the most common type of movable bridge for their speed and minimal energy needed for operation. With a matching pair a short distance to the east, these bascule bridges exhibit a rugged industrial beauty that greatly complements the docklands' industrial past.