Categories of Special Interest
Drum Presbyterian Meeting House
In Use As
1815 - 1835
Free-standing Presbyterian church, built c.1825. Single-cell interior with altar table to east end, raised on two steps, having accompanying recent carved timber furniture. Carved timber gallery to west end, with timber panelled railing having central latticed panels supported on round-plan grooved Doric-style columns with square plinths. Timber staircase in entrance porch accessed via round-headed door opening with recent glazed timber doors with stained-glass over-light. Box pews to gallery, recent pews to nave, flanking central aisle. Timber battened ceiling. Stained-glass windows to east end.
The simplicity of this building is complemented by a barn-style roof and round-headed windows to give it an interesting and appealing form, making it a notable feature outside Drum village. This is one of several churches in and around Drum, hence forming part of an interesting group. The present building replaced an older meeting house in the village, to the rear of the former school. It has notable timber-work to the interior, demonstrating skilled nineteenth-century craftsmanship, with the imposing gallery, and enhancing the perception of modest but well executed craftsmanship characterises the structure.