Survey Data

Reg No

41402206


Rating

Regional


Categories of Special Interest

Architectural Social


Original Use

Coaching inn


Historical Use

Shop/retail outlet


Date

1840 - 1880


Coordinates

256111, 317507


Date Recorded

16/04/2012


Date Updated

--/--/--


Description

Detached eight-bay former coaching inn, single-storey-with-attic to front and two-storey to rear, built c.1860. Shopfront inserted to front (north) elevation. Formerly also in use as shop and public house. Now disused. Pitched slate roof, with rendered chimneystacks and square-plan vent stack, and rendered barges with render roll crest to apex. Cast-iron rainwater goods. Roughcast rendered walls to front, rear and west elevations, lined-and-ruled rendered walls east gable. Some coursed limestone and sandstone rubble visible, visible rubble quoins to west end rear elevation. Smooth rendered plinth, and smooth rendered rectangular panel to west corner. Square-headed window openings with cut limestone sills, having mixed timber sliding sash windows with one-over-two panes, one-over-one panes, and six-over-six panes. Timber battened fittings to window openings to west end of front elevation. Bull's eye windows to west end of front elevation and to attic level of west gable, that to gable with red brick surround, that to front elevation having moulded render surround and remains of spoked timber window. Shopfront consisting of hand-painted nameplate with moulded cornice over recessed square-headed door opening, having half-glazed timber panelled double-leaf door, approached by flight of rendered steps with recent metal railing. Door flanked by timber display windows with painted sills. Square-headed door opening to house having timber battened door, paned over-light, and concrete steps. Multiple-bay single-storey outbuilding attached to west end of rear elevation, having pitched corrugated-iron roof and rubble stone walls, red brick and slate to eaves level, with some roughcast render. Street fronted, with yard to the rear.

Appraisal

A notable feature in the village of Drum and the surrounding area, Andersons is well known as a former pub and shop, although currently vacant. The simple form of the building is enhanced by the the retention of heritage fabric such as the timber sliding sash windows. The broad elevation with its subtle shopfront is a significant part of the streetscape. The attached outbuilding shows signs of having had its roof level changed, some slates remain as copings below the red brick eaves to the latter, and this adds a pleasing dimension and patina of age to the site.