Categories of Special Interest
Architectural Artistic Social
In Use As
1885 - 1895
Boundary wall and gateway to Saint Louis Convent, built c.1890. Northern half of circuit is rendered and southern half is exposed roughly coursed rubble limestone, with dressed limestone crenellations, with rubble limestone plinth with cast-iron railings to southernmost part. Occasional stone blocks have been inscribed with names of historical persons and events, such as 'Napoleon's last look 5 May 1821' and 'O'Neill met Essex at Aclint River 8 Sept 1599'. Gateway, at north end of wall, comprises double-leaf wrought-iron vehicular gate with decorative detailing and spearhead finials set to square-plan tooled limestone piers with decorative caps, and surmounted by metal sign 'Convent of Saint Louis' with decorative detailing and cross finial. Pedestrian gate to south boundary has chamfered limestone pointed-arch surround, timber battened door and approached by three limestone steps.
The high boundary walls to Saint Louis Convent are a familiar sight on the southern approach to Carrickmacross. The gateway has many fine details in stone and metal, and the inscribed names and statement recalling historical personages and events adds interest to these walls as well as being historically informative, in keeping with the educational remit of the institution behind the boundary.