Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1865 - 1875
Attached three-bay single-storey house with dormer floor, dated 1870, slightly recessed from neighbouring house in same group of cottages, and having projecting gable-fronted entrance. Lean-to extension to rear with corrugated-iron roof and smooth rendered walls. Pitched slate roof with slate ridge tiles, decorative timber fascia and bargeboards and finials, red brick chimneystacks, and cast-iron rainwater goods. Dressed limestone walls with tooled limestone quoins, and with raised hammer-dressed surrounds and sills to ground floor openings. Painted date plaque with raised 'B', '1870' and crown motif over front entrance. Square-headed window and door openings, having two-over-two pane timber sliding sash windows with ogee horns to ground floor, and replacement timber door and dormer windows.
This house is one of a group of well executed houses known formerly as Wemouth Cottages and built by the Bath estate. The limestone façade and date plaque are representative of fine craftsmanship. The house retains some timber sash windows and gives a strong impression of the original look of the Wemouth Cottage group.