Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1870 - 1890
Detached four-bay single-storey former Methodist church, built c.1880, having lower L-plan two-bay single-storey wing recessed to east. Now in use as Presbyterian church. Pitched slate roof having cast-iron rainwater goods, and moulded stone eaves course. Coursed snecked sandstone walls with tooled limestone quoins and plinth. Smooth render quoins to recessed part bay. Pointed-arch window openings having rendered surrounds and stone sills with timber windows having stained glass. Brick surrounds to east elevation windows. Main entrance consisting of pointed-arch door opening with stone steps, smooth rendered surround, and recessed timber tongued and grooved double-leaf door with decorative cast-iron hinges. Interior has carved timber pulpit and pews, arch-braced timber truss roof with battened ceiling. Church bounded by rubble limestone plinth wall with cast-iron railings and gates.
This modest church forms an attractive element in Farney Street. It was originally built as a Methodist Chapel by railway workers. By 1925, the Methodist congregation had become very small, and the Church was transferred to the Presbyterians that year. The snecked sandstone walls are subtly hued, and the moulded eaves and the decorative door hinges add decorative quality. The simple interior is enhanced by carved timber furniture.