Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1850 - 1855
Multiple-bay single-storey former shambles, dated 1854. Extensively remodelled post-1950 and now occupied by multiple retail, office and restaurant units. Pitched slate roof having ridge tiles, and replacement uPVC rainwater goods. Tooled chamfered sandstone arcade having depressed segmental arches with dressed surrounds and voussoirs, with rubble walling to spandrels. Cast-iron date plaque with crown motif, and lettering '1854' and 'B', set towards centre of row. Arches infilled with shopfronts.
Though much altered, this building's sandstone arcading adds character and interest to the streetscape. It was built by the Bath Estate as a shambles (or slaughterhouse) for the town. Its close proximity to the main street is a testament of the market role of the town and the increased commercial sophistication and specialisations adopted in towns in the latter half of the nineteenth century.