Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1875 - 1885
Terraced two-bay two-storey house, dated 1880, having integral carriage arch to east end shared with neighbouring building, and having timber shopfront. Now in use as public house. Pitched slate roof having clay ridge tiles, red brick chimneystacks and combination of aluminium and cast-iron rainwater goods, and having skylights. Tooled limestone walls. Square-headed window openings having red brick block-and-start surrounds, limestone sills, prominent stone keystones, and two-over-two pane timber sliding sash windows with ogee horns. Segmental-headed carriage arch has tooled limestone voussoirs with dropped keystone, stone shield above with high relief 'B' (Bath) and '1880', and timber battened double-leaf door. Shopfront has pilasters to ends atop stone plinths, display window with colonette to corner of recessed entrance with glazed timber door, consoles to pilasters supporting fascia with moulded cornice.
This mid-terrace property was built as one of a terrace along O'Neill Street. The building shares a carriage arch with its neighbour in a composition that adds significantly to the streetscape. The date plaque, alluding to the Bath estate fixes the history of development of the street. The good-quality stonemasonry of the facade is evident, and the retention of timber sash windows enhances its heritage value, as does the well detailed shopfront.