Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1850 - 1860
Detached five-bay three-storey bank, built c.1855, having slightly advanced end bays to front elevation, three-storey return to rear with lean-to extension and slightly recessed single-storey wings to north and south gables having carriage arches. Pitched slate roof behind tooled stone parapet wall having red brick chimneystacks, tooled stone parapet, and cast-iron rainwater goods. Tooled sandstone walls throughout having tooled stone sill course to first and second floors. Front elevation has square-headed windows to upper floors, openings to end bays set within segmental-headed two-storey recesses, and round-headed openings to ground floor, all with tooled sandstone sills and timber sliding sash windows, six-over-six pane except for top floor which has six-over-three pane, all with ogee horns. Square-headed door openings to end bays, with tooled sandstone doorcases having fluted console brackets supporting moulded cornices, with timber panelled doors and overlights. Segmental carriage arches, now blocked, having tooled sandstone surrounds with raised keystones. Series of stone steps leading to northern entrance door. Rubble stone boundary wall to south. Decorative cast-iron gates and railings to front of building set on tooled stone plinth with flanking quadrant walls.
Attributed to the architect William Caldbeck, this imposing bank building occupies a prominent position facing onto the Main Street. It is well maintained and is lent further gravity by the advanced entrance bays, and by the side wings with carriage arches. It has a subdued Italianate feel, which is typical of the commercial architecture of the day. This style was often adopted by the bank companies at this time to convey a sense of permanence and trust among its patrons. The construction of the bank attests to high-quality stone masonry, particularly in the reserved cut-stone detailing, which contributes significantly to the architectural design quality of the composition making it a fine contribution to the architectural heritage of Carrickmacross. This bank building is very similar to the Bank of Ireland at Moate of c.1854, which Caldbeck also designed. The decorative railings and gates provide a pleasant foreground.