Categories of Special Interest
Architectural Historical Technical
In Use As
1840 - 1915
Detached three-bay three-storey rectangular store building, constructed c.1910. Pitched roof with mixture of natural slates and fibre cement slate, black clay ridge tiles and simple clay flue to south gable apex. Concrete skew to north gable wall-top. Wrought-iron brackets but gutter missing; cast-iron downpipe. Uncoursed rubble walling with English garden wall bond brick to second floor on side elevations, roughcast render to south gable end, and brick dressings around all openings. Square-headed window openings to side and rear elevations, with timber lintels to second floor level and stone lintels to first floor. Frames are side-hung timber casements with most boarded up. Square-headed door openings within segmental-headed openings to north gable upper floors, with projecting steel rails acting as hoist point between upper floors. Wider doorway to to ground floor of north gable, with timber and concrete lintels. External stone steps lead to first floor doorway on west elevation. Eight-bay single-storey range to south, built c.1860, mostly open to east side, with cast-iron corkscrew columns between bays and supporting heavy timber wall plate. Rubble stone construction to rear wall and to some blocked bays at front. Building formerly used for horse market.
This two-part structure displays many of the features of both agricultural and industrial buildings, and the two phases of construction add interest. The variety of materials used, from rubble stone to yellow brick, steel rails, and corkscrew iron columns, makes the building a structure of significant interest.